Attention: All employees of the Presidents Office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved
exemption on medical or religious grounds. Individuals with approved exemptions must wear face coverings in public indoor settings and submit proof
of a negative COVID-19 test on a weekly basis.
Dev Ops Engineer II
Job no: 510988
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: South St Shrewsbury
Categories: Information Technology
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
The University Information Technology Services (UITS) department of the University of Massachusetts is seeking an experienced, energetic, engaging and visionary employee who wants to become part of an exciting, vibrant community of information technology professionals supporting the institution's mission, “To enable UMASS to provide an affordable and accessible education of high quality and to conduct programs of research and public service that advance knowledge and improve the lives of the people of the Commonwealth, the nation and the world.”
Information technology plays a vital and ever-expanding role in the institutional mission. The Institution's information technology environment is highly distributed and diverse, with strong leadership and coordination from the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and direct report units. We are seeking a mid-level employee to provide support and hands-on responsibility as a DevOps Engineer II.
The DevOps Engineer II is a technical role supporting our data center and cloud environments in a multi-platform, protocol and operating system environment.
LEVEL 2 - Performs job functions with moderate supervision and peer review
- Participate in small to medium sized agile teams
- Knowledge of Software Development Lifecycle
- Work with Cloud Technologies – Private, Public, Hybrid, IaaS+, PaaS, SaaS
- Code and script using languages such as PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Java, etc.
- Experience with container technologies
- Work with SDK and CLIs
- Engage with various protocols such as HTTP, SSL, SSH, JMS, JDBC, REST API, etc.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Linux operating systems, software, and hardware installation/configuration
- Basic Networking Concepts (VLAN, subnetting, routing, and switching)
- Leverage version control systems
- Participate in build and release management activities
- Look for code vulnerabilities
- Establish priorities and adjust work accordingly
- Use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services
- Design and develop automation solutions that improve DevOps operations and efficiency
- Document and track work using department tools including help desk and project tracking tools
- The position requires a full-time work schedule. Full-time is defined as working at least 40 hours per week, plus any additional hours as requested or as needed to meet business requirements.
- Carry out duties in a manner consistent with a complex, diverse, dynamic hardware and software environment that serves a multi-campus university community
- Interact effectively (verbally, written, etc.) with users, vendors and management to ensure the delivery and use of application is consistent with agreed upon project goals
- On-Call support is required and included as part of the compensation
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical, scientific or engineering discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Three years of experience with Linux specifically RedHat Linux or a derivative of it.
- Three years of experience as a DevOps practitioner/engineer
- Solid interpersonal skills, with ability to work well with people of all levels of information technology expertise and comfort in varied organizational relationships, and ability to maintain a positive working relationship with others
- Ability to think clearly and take best course of action in high-pressure situations
- Infrastructure automation skills
- Proficient using PC
- Proficient in spreadsheet, database, flowcharting, and word processing software
- Working knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards
- Excellent IT troubleshooting skills
- Willing to work under different technologies and take up new technology responsibilities outside core skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Solid technical ability and problem-solving skills
- Ability to act independently to drive UITS goals and change
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Basic understanding of server virtualization and how to operate in a virtual environment.
- Familiarity with Networked Attached Storage (NAS) environments
- Understanding of network services such as ssh, ntp, sftp, ftp, nfs, rpc, smb/cifs, smtp and dns.
- One year working on or closely with a DevOps team in an agile environment
- Some experience coaching others in the adoption of DevOps and able to take point on DevOps related actionable items
- Understanding of High Availability and Disaster Recovery
- Experience coaching others in the adoption of DevOpsAWS Certification @ DevOps Engineer
- Any Azure Certification
- The job can require some time working inside data centers for extended periods of time.
- May require frequent off-hours work.
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation.
Salary commensurate with experience up to $90,000.00
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.