Attention: All employees of the Presidents Office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved
exemption on medical or religious grounds. Individuals with approved exemptions must wear face coverings in public indoor settings and submit proof
of a negative COVID-19 test on a weekly basis.
Assistant Treasurer of Operations
Job no: 510534
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: Hybrid/2 Days On Site Shrewsbury, 3 Days Remote
Department: University Treasurer's Office
Categories: Business & Financial Services
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
The University is seeking a strategic, accomplished financial professional, dedicated to working in a mission-driven and highly collaborative work environment. Under the general supervision of the Sr. Vice President of Operations & Associate Treasurer, the Assistant Treasurer oversees and is responsible for Treasury services and operations, which is comprised of the following major functions: cash management, disbursements, reconciliation, and investments.
- Responsible for providing oversight, leadership, and the day-to-day management in the areas of cash reconciliations, investment reporting, annual audit requirements, cash management & banking services, accounts payable disbursements (including student refunds) and payroll disbursements operations.
- Represent the Treasurer’s Office at senior level meetings both internally and externally.
- Lead the day-to-day operations of the Treasurer’s Office in the absence of the Associate Treasurer.
- Manage the University’s financial projection model and develop financial scenarios in support of the strategic direction of the University, as well as to support new initiatives and projects.
- Provide financial analysis to assist the University in making informed decisions concerning the organization’s cash position and cash flows.
- Monthly analysis, and review of the reconciliation, and reporting of the composition of the University’s Operating Cash investment portfolio; including oversight of the summary reconciliation, and the calculation and reporting of projected earnings by campus.
- Analyze operating cash, disbursement, and investment data to develop and present analytics, including:
- Developing cash position reports;
- Developing, analyzing, and presenting quarterly cash flow reporting for the University and the campuses; and
- Developing, analyzing, and presenting cash flow projections for the University and the campuses.
- Develop strategies and proposals for the investment of operating cash managed by the Treasurer’s Office, including the use of the University’s line of credit.
- Propose and monitor Operating Cash investment strategies to increase investment income.
- Oversight of the annual distribution of Operating Cash interest earnings by campus.
- Responsible for providing cash and investment audit information to external auditors and University Controller, including financial statement footnote disclosures.
- Participate in all aspects of any new systems development for all cash management operations including participating as a project team member in any system maintenance or upgrade.
- Function as system administrator for various cash management, banking, and University online platforms.
- Working in collaboration with your staff, ensure proper preparation, updates, and oversight, as necessary, of all written policies and procedures pertaining to all aspects of the investments, disbursements, reconciliations, and cash management operations functions.
- Oversee and ensure the timely and accurate completion of the general ledger/bank statement reconciliations, including daily operating cash and monthly summary reconciliation consolidating all bank receipt and credit card accounts.
- Responsible for the oversight of the payroll direct deposit return processing, payroll deduction processing, payroll stop payment and direct deposit reversal requests.
- Work closely with the Associate Treasurer to develop and recommend operating procedures for all matters related to the recording and control of University investments; ensure that financial transactions, policies, and procedures meet organization objectives, needs, and regulatory body requirements.
- Oversee the administration and coordination of campus donor stock sales; oversee the investment of assets in charitable trusts for which the University is named as Trustee or beneficiary.
- Responsible for ensuring and maintaining separation of duties among all functional areas of responsibility.
- Responsible for reviewing and approving cash management, payroll, and other miscellaneous journal entries.
- Train new employees, assist co-workers, and perform other duties to insure the smooth operation of the Treasurer’s Office on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for researching and helping to resolve issues related to system and GL imbalances.
- Attention to detail, written and oral communications skills.
- Participate as a team member for interdepartmental collaboration and cross-functional training.
- Maintain working knowledge of the operational duties of several positions within the Treasurer’s Office to ensure adequate cross training and back up.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Business, Finance, or Accounting.
- A minimum of eight years’ experience with cash management, investment reporting and reconciliation.
- Must possess strong leadership, team building, and interpersonal skills with the ability to plan, direct and manage projects, managing multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines.
- Experience in recruiting, supervising, and evaluating staff.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, ability to effectively communicate and present work product with colleagues and senior management.
- Enthusiasm for partnering effectively and positively with multiple constituencies within and outside the University.
- Sound knowledge of accounting practices, and ability to work effectively at the intersections of the University’s treasury, accounting, and budget functions.
- Strong understanding of the principles of internal controls, and experience incorporating sound control practices into operational procedures and processes.
- Thorough knowledge of complex reconciliation functions and how they interrelate with the accounting system.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office products, especially Excel.
- Ability to plan and organize work while performing a variety of office functions.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in applying and interpreting departmental and University policy and procedure.
- Ability to always maintain a professional demeanor, make full use of working hours, and maintain harmonious relationships with co-workers, other University personnel, and outside contacts.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Business, Finance, or Accounting.
- Experience in higher education, banking, public, non-profit, or other large, complex environments with multiple revenue streams is preferred.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft is a plus.
- Experience using Treasury Management Software and/or Banking Cash Management Platforms is a plus.
- Primary work location is Shrewsbury, MA 2 days onsite and 3 days remote; however, travel to all campuses may be required.
- Typical office environment.
Salary will be commensurate with experience up to $125,000.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.