Attention: All employees of the Presidents Office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved
exemption on medical or religious grounds. Individuals with approved exemptions must wear face coverings in public indoor settings and submit proof
of a negative COVID-19 test on a weekly basis.
Assistant Counsel - Immigration
Job no: 509858
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: South St Shrewsbury
Department: PO-General Counsel
Categories: General Counsel
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
This is an Attorney position in Office of General Counsel (“OGC”), Boston or Shrewsbury, responsible for matters arising out of all campuses and the President’s Office.
- Provide legal advice and assistance to University system and campus officers, administrators, and employees in a timely manner, regarding federal laws and regulations and University policies and procedures for employment-based immigration sponsorship.
- Prepare employment-based visa petitions for submission to U.S. Departments of Homeland Security and Labor, specifically I-129 non-immigrant visa petitions in the H1B, E-3, and TN categories, PERM special handling cases for faculty, and oversee faculty and staff permanent residence (“green card”) cases system-wide.
- Serve as OGC point of contact on a variety of employment matters relating to international (temporary work authorized) employees, including providing advice on recruitment, retention, promotion, leaves of absence, and termination.
- Update and draft University procedures and business practices to facilitate system-wide uniformity and consistency of campus operations supporting immigration compliance for visa sponsoring employers.
- Collaborate and interact with colleagues in OGC as well as campus and system employees on immigration-related projects, training, advisories, and regulatory compliance efforts.
- Represent the University before federal administrative agencies, including but not limited to the Departments of Labor, State and Homeland Security.
- Keep current in, compile reports and analyze data, to promote compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. Manage Sunapsis case management software for immigration and monitor filing deadlines and expiration dates. Partner with appropriate system points of contact to align institutional data in PSHR, Sunapsis, SEVIS, Glacier (NRA Taxation), Tracker I-9, and other institutional reporting to federal agencies on international employees, including students.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication and inter‐personal skills and the ability to deal with senior administration, managers, supervisors, and employees.
- Exhibit excellent analytical and problem‐solving skills, flexibility to work without supervision and the ability to handle a variety of matters with varying deadlines.
- Work with outside counsel or consultants on legal matters
- Assure appropriate retention of legal office records
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- J.D. and licensure in Massachusetts
- 2-4 years of relevant experience with employment-based immigration petitions, e.g. H1 and PERM casework.
- Exemplary writing and communication skills
- Excellent technical skills working with multiple IT systems, data and compliance reporting
- Ability to work under pressure on deadline and with a variety of University staff positions
- Excellent analytical skills, creative thinking, problem solving and decision-making, and a collaborative style
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Experience in higher education, specifically in human resources and/or immigration services
- Interest in learning regulatory compliance and educating campus community
- Interest in developing superior communication and advocacy skills
- Interest in engaging in continued professional development through internal and external means
- Standard office environment
- Occasional travel by car to University campuses in Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth, Lowell and/or Worcester and the President’s Office in Boston.
Salary range: $85,000-$90,000. Final salary offer commensurate with experience.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.