Interns – Procurement Operations, Multiple Positions
Job no: 518109
Position type: Internship
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: South St Shrewsbury
Department: Unified Procurement Serv Team
Categories: Business & Financial Services, UPST, Procurement
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
The University of Massachusetts Office of the President seeks multiple Interns within the Unified Procurement Services Team (UPST). The internships are ideal for current UMass undergraduate or graduate students who are eager to learn and gain first-hand experience working in a full-service procurement function. Our Procurement Operations team handle requisitions, purchase orders, Bank Card, accounts payable (payment/invoice) and supplier management (diversity, registration, and risk) for the UMass system and our suppliers.
The selected interns will gain valuable insight and experience into the procurement function for the University of Massachusetts, working in multiple platforms and operating systems within the UPST. This internship provides the ability to gain knowledge and understanding of all facets of the procurement process from supplier set up, sourcing, contracting, requisitioning and payment processing. Under the direction of UPST leadership, this internship will provide access and encourage participation and collaboration on projects with many departments within the University’s Administration and Finance team to improve the procurement function within UMass.
This internship is part-time during the semester (20 hours maximum) and full time in the Summer (40 hours) with a pay rate of $16 per hour. In addition to being a paid internship, academic credit may also be available.
To learn more about the UPST organization and the impactful work being done within UMass, review our feature in the Supply Chain Digital magazine, go to our website or connect with us on LinkedIn!
With oversight and direction from UPST leadership and management, the interns will support the UPST team with the various duties of the Procurement Operations Team:
- Provide some general administrative support
- Train and process work within all departments of the UPST
- Interact with administrators, faculty, and staff
- Support vendor/supplier information review and verification for completeness before routing for system processing
- Ensure compliance with federal and state laws, rules, and regulations and follows University of Massachusetts policies.
- Ensure proper tax documents- W9s, W8s, NRA forms, W7s, 8233 forms are accurately completed.
- Support the preparation of adequate and current supporting documentation for active vendors.
- Examines documentation and corrects errors or obtains replacement documents when necessary.
- Identifies and resolves issues when vendor data results in conflicts within the vendor file.
- Support management of supplier management related tickets/requests as received through our Salesforce Case Management system
- Support any additional processes as requested
- Organize workpapers
- Follow-up on management’s action plans
- Think critically and exercise professional judgment, and discretion
- Perform special assignments and other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Current UMass student who is enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program of study.
- GPA 3.0 or higher.
- Creative, eager to learn, motivated, and willing to take initiative on assigned projects/tasks.
- Reliable and detailed-oriented with a strong ability to multi-task, stay organized, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be well organized, detailed oriented, and possess good follow-up skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion when interacting with staff.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (including Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Ability to multi-task across multiple systems
- Willingness to learn new skills and technologies
- Any offers of an internship within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
- Hybrid and remote work schedules available.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend