Attention: All employees of the Presidents Office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved
exemption on medical or religious grounds.
Capital Projects Manager I
Job no: 516304
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: Mt. Ida
Department: UMass Building Authority
Categories: Other Staff Positions, Facilities
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
The University of Massachusetts Building Authority (UMBA) Capital Project Team oversees UMBA’s capital projects on the five UMass campuses from concept through project close-out. The Capital Projects Manager I works as part of a motivated team reporting to the Director of Project Planning and/or the Director of Construction and will be responsible for oversight, monitoring and assisting with the implementation of the Authority’s capital programs on the University of Massachusetts campuses.
- Primary responsibility providing oversight, monitoring and assisting with all phases of construction projects from start to final acceptance of the Authority’s capital projects. Projects include new construction, major and minor renovations, preventive maintenance programs, deferred maintenance and energy conservation.
- Participate in design and construction project meetings and site visits.
- Monitor budgets, schedules, design and construction of projects funded by the Authority under the University System’s Capital Plan.
- Ensures that capital projects are effectively managed by overseeing activity on these projects, including feasibility analysis, programming, preliminary studies and development of alternative solutions, preparation of project estimates and budgets, solicitation, receipt, and evaluation of project bids, construction administration, and management of the project budget.
- Creates a collaborative environment in support of system-wide approaches to planning and decision-making.
- Assist with the technical and financial management of consultants and contractors, including project managers, architects/engineers, construction managers, and other consultants.
- Review and monitor the performance of OPMs and designers on capital projects for compliance with UMBA requirements from design development through construction and final audit, including review of design submittals, scheduling, cost estimating, reporting, construction administration, scope management, and change control.
- Assist with the procurement of OPM’s, architects and construction managers in accordance with public bidding laws.
- Potential to participate in Owner Project Managers, Designer & CM Selection Committees, or various task forces.
- Assist with drafting contracts for UMBA’s consultants and contractors, including owner project managers, architects/engineers, construction managers, and other consultants.
- Participate in the preparation and coordination of documents and presentation materials required for UMBA Leadership and Board Meetings.
- Pursue Efficiency & Effectiveness Opportunities and track results.
- Final review and approval of invoices from capital project vendors.
- Review monthly reports for capital projects and prepare regular updates and monitor changes associated with scope, schedule, and budget.
- Populate project-specific data for all assigned projects into UMBA’s project management database as part of the regular monitoring of projects.
- Support the Authority’s diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Represent the Authority with internal and external groups and organizations related to planning, design, and construction issues.
- Promotes a positive image of the Authority within the state and construction industry by assisting in coordination between the campuses and various agencies.
- Potential to perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering or a closely related field.
- 3-5 years of related experience with the coordination and oversight of project management, design and/or construction management processes and protocols. Experience with public construction preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, ability to gather, analyze and present complex technical information is a clear, concise and understandable manner to both large and small groups.
- Excellent customer service, organizational, interpersonal and leadership skills. Ability to interact and build trust with a diverse range of people.
- Experience in large-scale facility planning, design, construction and fiscal management.
- Familiarity with all phases of the design and construction process.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to access all portions of a construction site.
- Ability to travel to UMass Campuses is required.
- Ability to obtain OSHA 10 Hour Certification.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive information at every level.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure of tight deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritize and organize own work.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Knowledge of Massachusetts laws, including MGL Chapter 149, Chapter 149A, Chapter 30, and Chapter 7 design and construction regulations highly preferred.
- Understanding of the objectives and structure of a research university and the planning processes of a major university system.
- An understanding of sustainability principals and an ability to apply them to projects. LEED Certification is a plus.
- Management experience in a multi-unit organization.
- Ability to build effective relationships across the University System and with various campus and external constituencies.
- Experience with cost estimating and project schedule development.
- Registered Architect, Professional Engineer or Construction Management Professional in Massachusetts.
- Typical office environment
- Must be able to travel occasionally to all UMass campuses and the Boston central office
- Primary work location: Mt Ida Campus of UMass Amherst – Newton, MA
Salary commensurate with experience up to $100,000.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.