Attention: All employees of the Presidents Office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved
exemption on medical or religious grounds. Individuals with approved exemptions must wear face coverings in public indoor settings and submit proof
of a negative COVID-19 test on a weekly basis.
Senior Project Manager
Job no: 513614
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: South St Shrewsbury
Department: Innovation Team
Categories: Business & Financial Services, Other Staff Positions, Program Administration/Management
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
The Administration and Finance (Innovation and Operational Services Team) Division of the University of Massachusetts System Office is seeking a Senior Project Manager with a distinctive blend of business, IT, communication and planning skills to enable successful achievement of strategic goals and desired business outcomes via effective management of projects.
The primary purpose of the Senior Project Manager role is to lead, oversee and ensure the successful planning, delivery and management of projects within scope, quality, time and cost constraints. Projects range from highly dynamic and agile to more structured. All projects require high proficiency in change management, planning, and influencing across organizational boundaries. The ideal candidate is a persuasive change agent with a growth mindset and possesses the following competencies: gains sponsor and stakeholder commitment by building trust through transparency and good judgment; encourages cooperation and compromise with competing priorities; and has a track record of setting challenging goals and demonstrates a strong drive for results.
The Senior Project Manager reports to the Manager, Business Applications. The Innovation Team collaborates with colleagues in Administration and Finance, UITS, all departments in UMass System Office, and campus stakeholders across all major areas of university operations.
- Act as a trusted advisor to business stakeholders on problem framing, design thinking, solution consulting and research. Assist stakeholders with development of business cases and project proposals to inform decision making.
- Develop, schedule and communicate project plans including deliverables, phases, milestones, and tasks. Plans may be agile or waterfall depending on the project type. Modify project plans as needed to ensure successful outcomes.
- Lead resource management for assigned projects including assignment of internal resources and recruitment of external resources including project vendor billing. Ensure project resources have clearly defined and well-understood roles and responsibilities tied to project success.
- Develop and implement project communication plans for a wide variety of system and campus stakeholders at all levels.
- Lead and motivate project team members throughout the project life cycle and confer with project staff to outline and adjust the work plan.
- Perform risk assessments and implement mitigation plans. Confer with stakeholders and project staff to proactively anticipate and resolve problems.
- Monitor and frequently report on project status, health, and key issues while ensuring information is easily understandable, actionable, supports effective decision making and builds trust with sponsors and stakeholders.
- Ensure that project goals are accomplished and are aligned with business objectives.
- Contribute to and follow standards, best practices, and procedures for project management within UITS.
- As a member of the Innovation Team contribute to a climate of teamwork. Support fellow team members by sharing knowledge and providing support as needed.
- Administration and Finance has created this job description to indicate the general nature and level of work that is expected of the Senior Project Manager. This job description is not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of the Senior Project Manager and should not be interpreted as such. Special projects and other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 5 years of experience in project management including simultaneously managing multiple projects and some large projects.
- 3 or more years of project management experience with a focus on solutions to business problems or developing new business capabilities.
- 3 or more years of experience directly interacting with business stakeholders through projects, solution consulting, or project proposal development.
- Demonstrated experience in leading a cross-functional team that does not have a direct reporting relationship.
- Demonstrated experience and ability in negotiation, influencing, conflict resolution, public speaking, facilitation, and other business interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with one or more common project management platforms for planning, scheduling, resource management and risk management.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Project management training and certification.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate others using empathy and knowledge of different work and communication styles.
- Experience using multiple project management methodologies (e.g. Agile and PMI).
- Demonstrated ability to present and interact effectively with executive leadership.
- Demonstrated sound judgment in handling sensitive and politically complex issues.
- Effective business writing skills for proposals, documentation, and stakeholder communications.
- Discipline in setting and managing customer expectations.
- Demonstrated understanding of current and emerging technologies and how other enterprises are employing them to drive digital business.
- Typical office environment.
- Periodic travel to campus sites and executive offices in downtown Boston.
Salary will be commensurate with experience up to $90,000.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.