Attention: All employees of the Presidents Office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved
exemption on medical or religious grounds.
Intern - Office of the General Counsel
Job no: 511314
Position type: Internship
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: Beacon Street-Boston
Department: PO-General Counsel
Categories: General Counsel
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Primary Work Location:
One Beacon Street, Boston and/or Shrewsbury
The University of Massachusetts President's Office, located in Shrewsbury and Boston, MA is offering a 20 hour per week internship for Fall 2022. This is a paid internship ($16.00 per hour) and academic credit may also be available. The selected intern will intern directly with the attorneys in the University of Massachusetts’ Office of the General Counsel. This internship is exclusive to currently enrolled UMass Dartmouth Law students in their first or second year.
The intern will have the unique experience of working side by side with the Office of the General Counsel’s lawyers, who handle most aspects of legal representation for the University’s five-campus system, including corporate matters, labor issues, intellectual property, litigation, representation before federal and state agencies, and general legal assistance on the broad array of issues facing institutions of higher education.
The objective of this internship will be to assist the Office of the General Counsel with its rendering of legal advice to the University regarding a wide range of legal issues and University policies, to conduct legal research, write legal memoranda; conduct factual analysis and draft submissions in connection with ongoing litigation; and to perform such other duties as may be requested.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Must be an enrolled UMass law student who has completed his or her first or second year of law school.
- Must have a law school GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Must submit a brief cover letter; resume; law school transcript or a current list of courses and grades; and a short legal writing sample. Applicants should also state, in their cover letter, the days of the week and hours they would be available to work.
- Creative, eager to learn, motivated, and willing to take initiative on assigned projects/tasks.
- Reliable and detailed-oriented with a strong ability to multi-task, stay organized, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be well organized, detailed oriented, and possess good follow-up skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion when interacting with staff.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (including Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and able to perform legal research in Westlaw.
Any offer of an internship within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
Candidates must submit a brief cover letter; resume; law school transcript or a current list of courses and grades; and a short legal writing sample. Applicants should also state, in their cover letter, the days of the week and hours they would be available to work.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.