Attention: All employees of the Presidents Office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved
exemption on medical or religious grounds. Individuals with approved exemptions must wear face coverings in public indoor settings and submit proof
of a negative COVID-19 test on a weekly basis.
Dev Ops Engineer III
Job no: 510995
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: South St Shrewsbury
Department: University Info Tech Services
Categories: Information Technology
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
The University Information Technology Services (UITS) department of the University of Massachusetts is seeking an experienced DevOps Engineer who wants to become part of an dynamic team of technology professionals supporting the institution's mission, “To enable UMASS to provide an affordable and accessible education of high quality and to conduct programs of research and public service that advance knowledge and improve the lives of the people of the Commonwealth, the nation and the world.”
We are transforming to adopt new capabilities such as cloud-first architecture, DevOps, and agile. We support a highly distributed and diverse environment for mission-critical systems for multiple campuses. We embrace a culture of continuous learning by fostering a growth mindset and working together to solve hard business and technology challenges, with strong leadership and coordination from the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and direct report units.
The DevOps Engineer III is a technical role supporting our cloud environments and data center in a multi-platform, protocol, operating system environment. The role ensures we can deliver and support a variety of enterprise and business applications.
LEVEL 3 - Performs job functions with minimal supervision
- Small to medium-sized agile project and operations teams
- Cloud Technologies such as AWS and Azure – Private, Public, Hybrid, IaaS+, PaaS, SaaS
- Container technologies and microservices
- Coding and scripting languages such as PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby, Java, etc.
- SDK and CLIs
- Various protocols such as HTTP, SSL, SSH, JMS, JDBC, REST API, etc.
- Open source technologies such as Dockers, KVM, and Python
- Version control systems such as GitHub, Subversion, and Visual Source Safe
- Build and release management for infrastructure and application development
- Identify and remediate code vulnerabilities
- Design and develop automation solutions that improve DevOps operations and efficiency
- Document and track work using IT service management and project tracking tools
- Collaborate with end users, vendors and management to ensure the delivery and use of application is consistent with business outcomes
- Implement Infrastructure as code using supported toolsets
- Administer container platforms
- Administer SQL and NoSQL technologies
Required Job Skills:
Demonstrated technical proficiency with:
- Software development lifecycle
- Experience with container technologies
- Basic networking concepts (e.g. VLAN, subnetting, routing, and switching)
- Establish priorities and adjust work accordingly
- Troubleshooting technical issues in a complex multi-platform environment
- Office productivity, database, and flowcharting software
- Current software protocols and internet standards
- Information security and data privacy practices
Demonstrated professional proficiency with:
- Continuous learning of new skills and technologies while adapting to new
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain a positive working relationship with others
- Presentation of material to all knowledge levels
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Ability to act independently to drive UITS goals and change
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical, scientific or engineering discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Ability to think clearly and take best course of action in high-pressure situations
- Understanding of network services such as ssh, ntp, sftp, ftp, nfs, rpc, smb/cifs, smtp and dns.
- Understanding of High Availability and Disaster Recovery system architecture
- AWS Certification - DevOps Engineer
- Five years of experience:
- As a DevOps practitioner/engineer
- with Linux (specifically RedHat Linux or a derivative of it) system administration
- with infrastructure automation
- Any Azure Certification
- Intermediate understanding of server virtualization and how to operate in a virtual environment
- Experience working with Networked Attached Storage (NAS) environments
- Three years of experience:
- Coaching others in the adoption of DevOps practices and technologies
- Leading DevOps projects
- Periodically working inside data centers for extended periods of time
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation with periodic evening and weekend work for planned maintenance and project work
Salary commensurate with experience up to $120,000.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.