Attention: All employees of the Presidents Office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved
exemption on medical or religious grounds. Individuals with approved exemptions must wear face coverings in public indoor settings and submit proof
of a negative COVID-19 test on a weekly basis.
Associate Counsel - Research and Intellectual Property
Job no: 509912
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: South St Shrewsbury
Department: PO-General Counsel
Categories: General Counsel
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Attorney Position in the Office of the General Counsel (“OGC”), responsible for intellectual property matters arising out of all campuses, the President’s Office and affiliated entities. The location for this position is in the OGC Shrewsbury office and/or the President’s Office in Boston, and/or the UMass Amherst campus.
- Provide legal advice and assistance to University system and campus officers, administrators, and employees in a timely manner, regarding state and federal laws and regulations, and University policies, and address questions and issues affecting University business and compliance, including but not limited to academic research; commercialization of research and technology transfer (including potential conflicts of interest); human subjects safety; federal and state privacy laws; university owned intellectual property (including patent, copyright, trademark, and trade secret); and regulatory/compliance issues.
- Collaborate and interact with colleagues in GC office as well as campus and system employees on projects, training, advisories, and compliance efforts.
- Draft and review agreements including letters, settlements, contracts, memoranda of understanding, training materials and policies.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication and inter‐personal skills and the ability to deal with senior administration, managers, supervisors, and employees.
- Exhibits excellent analytical and problem‐solving skills, flexibility to work without supervision and the ability to handle a variety of matters with varying deadlines.
- Review contracts;
- Conduct legal research and analysis;
- Opine on compliance, conflict of interest issues, and the development of policies;
- Act as primary counsel on intellectual property transactions; assess legal liability and indemnification issues; and oversee intellectual property disputes.
- Provide oral and written advice to all client constituents throughout the UMass System, including faculty, administrators and staff at all five campuses (including but not limited to technology licensing officers, contracting groups, technology transfer officers and research officers), as well as support the campuses in their negotiations with third parties as needed.
- Work with outside counsel or consultants on legal matters
- Assure appropriate retention of legal office records
- Assist with hiring of new employees or interns
- Educational outreach to campuses, including formal training and presentations for campus clients.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- J.D. and Massachusetts bar admission.
- 5+ years combined experience working on agreements associated with academic research and technology transfer activities.
- Experience with patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, licenses and/or legal compliance and a desire to expand one’s skill set to all areas related to research and IP.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to work on multiple matters with tight deadlines, and collaboratively find creative solutions with a variety of personality styles.
- Strong legal and business-related knowledge in the areas of intellectual property and commercialization.
- Experience with licensing, research and service contracts, and memoranda of understanding.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Experience working within a governmental agency, higher education, or an academic medical center.
- Experience with IP litigation, portfolio management, and management of outside counsel.
- Experience handing IP commercialization; corporate, equity and venture; investment and funding new and start-up companies.
Standard office workplace, occasional travel by car to UMass campuses in Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth, Lowell and Worcester.
Salary range: $100,000-$120,000. Final salary offer will be commensurate with experience.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.