The University Information Technology Services (UITS) department of the University of Massachusetts (UMass) System Office is seeking an experienced, energetic, engaging and visionary leader who wants to become part of an exciting, vibrant community of information technology professionals supporting the institution's mission.
Information technology plays a vital and ever-expanding role in the institutional mission. The institution's information technology environment is highly distributed and diverse, with leadership and coordination from the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and direct report units. We are seeking a strong, knowledgeable leader to provide vision, strategy, broad-based planning, and hands-on responsibility as the Chief Enterprise Applications Officer (CEAO) within the UMass System Office.
The CEAO is a member of the UITS Executive Management Team (EMT) and serves a key role in university leadership, working closely with senior stakeholders across the University for selection, implementation, management and support of critical shared application systems. Developing and maintaining direct and strong relationships with UMSO Leaders, Administration and Finance (A&F) Leadership on campuses, Student and Academic Leadership on campuses is critical.
The current supported applications include HCM (“HR Direct”), Finance, Grants Administration, Effort Certification, International Travel, and Study Abroad for all 5 campuses and the President’s Office and Student Information System for Boston, Dartmouth and Lowell campuses. The majority of application services are currently provided utilizing Oracle’s Peoplesoft platforms, along with a number of smaller applications are also part of the portfolio and are supported directly or indirectly at varying levels. As UMass continues to innovate and evolve, additional academic and administrative application functions may transition under the accountability of the CEAO, who will need broad experience in both domains.
Manage Day-to-Day Operations for Enterprise Applications
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders to align platform governance with business and technology transformation; identify service improvement and innovation opportunities; and oversee creation of service roadmaps.
- Lead workforce development for the Enterprise Applications organization with a strong emphasis on coaching and professional development to promote skills for the digital era and high performing teams.
- Ensure Learn Plans are appropriate and in place for all team members.
- Mentor new leaders and ensure, to the extent possible, all are given the opportunity to stretch and try new things.
- Champion diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- Ensure effective succession plans for all positions.
- Continuously measure and optimize team performance.
- Provide appropriate challenge and feedback.
- Develop and manage operating and project budgets. Identify savings opportunities and ensure investments align with strategic priorities.
Lead Strategic Direction Towards Next Generation Applications Architecture
- Develop a strong understanding of Cloud ERP solutions in the marketplace and opportunities to adopt digital transformation and improve the digital experience for students and employees.
- Collaborate with the Chief Technology Officer on cloud transformation strategies that best align with application and business needs
- In collaboration with A&F and Student Administration partners, lead strategy development for shared service platforms and campus-managed platforms to balance efficiency with campus innovation and competitive differentiation.
- Co-leads RFP development, evaluations, selections and contract negotiations. Plans and coordinates
- software acquisitions, conversions and implementations.
Enable Delivery of Related Supporting Services
- Partner with the Enterprise Data & Analytics team to align application needs with the data strategy needs of A&F and student administrators.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of emerging business needs around the entire student lifecycle from prospect to alumni stage to advice on technology strategy to support enrollment, student success, and alumni engagement priorities.
- Contribute to strategy development for integration services and identity management
- Ensure information security and compliance priorities are addressed across the enterprise application portfolio
- Partner with A&F to enable A&F shared service functions at the business layer. Identify business process transformation and technology innovation to support efficiency and effectiveness.
- Partner with UMassOnline to ensure Student Information Systems and functionality and Learning Management Systems (Blackboard) work well together to support student success.
In addition to stated responsibilities the incumbent will work on cross department projects as appropriate and take on other duties, including special projects, as required. In addition to current core ERP services additional shared application functions may transition under the accountability of the CEAO in future as part of an IT Optimization initiative within the President’s Office.
Directly supervise the Student Information Systems & Operations Director (14 staff), Research Administration and International Manager (6 staff), Human Resources Application Manager (9 staff), Financial Applications Manager (4 staff). Over time additional functions and teams are expected to report into this role.
- Bachelor’s degree in related or applicable field
- Minimum 10 years of IT leadership experience including experience working with executive and board-level personnel
- Demonstrated computer proficiency with Microsoft Office software
- Experienced in formulating, allocating and managing budgets
- Must be outcomes oriented and effective working in a ‘work-anywhere’ environment i.e. remote or onsite
- Master’s Degree in related field
- Prior higher education or public service experience a significant plus
- Proven strategic planning leadership experience
- Demonstrated leadership experience in advancing diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A great sense of passion and urgency to achieve results and drive organizational and cultural change and proven leadership for significant transformational projects
- Excellent communication, mentorship and organizational development skills
- Extraordinary leadership skills in a complex and demanding environment. A significant part of this job is to work with technical and business leadership within the President’s Office and at the five UMass campuses to build strong partnerships and discover the most important needs in a very distributed ecosystem.
- Technical experience in Higher Education Applications including Student Information Systems, Learning Management Systems, Finance, HCM, Customer Relationship Management and Advancement systems.
- Familiarity with Peoplesoft or equivalent ERP platforms
- A strong fit with our Most Valued Behaviors
- Typical Office Environment.
- Occasional, non-standard scheduled work hours, such as evenings or weekends may be required.
- Significant travel to the campuses may take place post-pandemic. Must work effectively irrespective of work location (remote or onsite)
- Salary up to $210,000.00
- Please include a resume, cover letter and three references with your application