Applications Developer I
Job no: 501597
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Department: UITS-Applications Development
Categories: Information Technology
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
UMass is one of the only public university systems to have all undergraduate campuses ranked as National Universities by U.S. News & World Report. Striving for excellence at UMass ensures that the citizens of Massachusetts have access to world-class public higher education and the Commonwealth benefits from a top-tier research university focused on supporting the economy and workforce of the state.
The University Information Technology Services (UITS) is seeking an energetic, keen to learn, self-motivated Junior Applications Developer to help support the University strive towards its goals of excellence. The developer will be involved in supporting existing Applications as well as developing new. They will also be involved at the ground level as the department moves forward with DevOps.
UITS is a department of the President’s Office located in Shrewsbury with responsibility to provide central IT development and administrative services to the UMass campuses and President’s Office.
- Primary support for Student related applications and interfaces
- Create user interfaces, framework components, database queries and back-end scripts to support full-featured and styled web applications and portals
- Add functionality to existing applications, frameworks, queries and scripts
- Investigate and repair problems in existing code
- Offer UI design input for page styling, layout, and usability
- Work independently to solve production issues and analyze/design potential solutions
- Ability to create and execute unit test scenarios.
- Stay informed on emerging technologies and transfer knowledge to the team members.
- Work within a team environment as well as self-directed on single person projects.
- Accept accountability and ownership of tasks assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in information systems or related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Java/web and object oriented programming
- A solid understanding of software development process fundamentals
- A strong, self-motivated desire to learn new programming languages, tools, frameworks, and techniques
- Familiarity with web application technologies, such as Apache Tomcat, etc.
- Knowledge of a version control system.
- Knowledge of Agile Development methodologies.
- Familiarity with multiple operating systems (Mac OSX, Windows, LINUX, etc.).
- Familiarity with at least one Relational Database Management System (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc.)
- Strong communication skills needed to communicate professionally and effectively with constituents, vendors and colleagues – through email, conference calls and in person meetings.
- Ability to apply new ideas and technologies to meet an ever-evolving user function
- Able to transition back and forth between activities effectively.
- Highly motivated and able to work effectively under minimal supervision.
Work on a team with other Application Developers and business groups that support the Five Umass Campuses and other integrations as needed.
Work closely with technical and functional resources, reporting, integration IT teams and campus customers.
Office Environment. Occasional, non-standard scheduled work hours, such as evenings or weekends may be required. Required to be On-call approx. once every 5 weeks. Occasional day trips to the campuses. Potential for one day a week remote work in line with the Telecommuting Policy.
Salary Range: Up to $70,000.00
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend