Job no: 497600
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Department: UMass Building Authority
Categories: Accounting and Finance
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Primary Work Location:
One Beacon Street, 31st Floor, Boston
Normal Work Schedule:
8:30 am to 5:00pm
The Accounting Manager assists the Controller in the day-to-day operation of a variety of accounting & financial reporting functions, controls & personnel matters.
Primary Responsibilities include overseeing numerous monthly, quarterly and annual reconciliations, internal & external financial reporting functions, performing and maintaining fiscal year end closing procedures & schedules, and supervising the Senior Accountant.
- Work with the Controller to ensure preparation and accuracy of accounting activities including journal entries and related schedules for general ledger accounts. Review and approve entries made by other staff. Assist in all financial reports and associated journal entries and back-up.
- Assist in preparing or reviewing monthly and quarterly reconciliation schedules for all general ledger funds and accounts; monitor all cash and fund activities to ensure proper accounting is maintained. Assist in researching, tracking and resolving any discrepancies and/or documentation issues.
- Assist the Controller in preparing year-end package for independent financial audit with particular responsibility for schedules of fixed assets, depreciation, construction-in-progress, bond entries, and university assets.
- Assist in creating new general ledger funds, accounts and locations and related bank accounts as appropriate.
- Assist with preparing, reviewing and submitting quarterly grant reports to Mass Life Sciences and other grant agencies.
- Assist in the campus billing/ assessment process, periodic reporting to the Authority Trustee, University Controller and Commonwealth Comptroller, application for Build America Bond subsidies, and collection of the semi-annual billing by campus, system office, and associated entities assessments and proper disbursement to debt service, reserve and other funds.
- Assist the Budget Director with the development of the annual budget and quarterly budget updates to the UMBA Board.
- Work with campuses during the fiscal year to reconcile project costs prior to capitalization.
- Review and enhance the monthly campus reporting prepared by the Senior Accountant related to capital spending and funds available.
- Review and enhance monthly rent invoices prepared by the Senior Accountant.
- Assist with documenting and formalizing close processes and accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepare or review the CTHRU payment file uploads and public records requests.
- Prepare or review reporting to the Supplier Diversity Office.
- Assist with implementation of any accounting or reporting systems.
- Assist with campus related requests for information and other ad hoc projects.
- Draft or review presentations or reporting prepared by the Finance team.
- Provide backup when the Senior Accountant and/ or Controller are out of the office.
- Assist in hiring, evaluating and training staff; delegate responsibilities, provide direction & instruction to staff. Cross train Finance staff to provide backup for when Accounting Manager is out of the office.
- Attend monthly meetings with the campuses and system office virtually (via Zoom) or in person.
- Perform other duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Management, Accounting, or a related business field.
- Understanding of general and fund accounting attained through five to seven years (5-7) experience in a governmental or construction project environment.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel, is required. Ability to analyze and determine applicability of data, to draw conclusions, and to make appropriate recommendations is also required.
- Experience with Intacct or other accounting software.
- Strong organization, interpersonal & communications (oral & written) skills including the ability to work effectively and build consensus with internal and external stakeholders.
- Great attention to detail and the ability to function independently with minimal supervision, but willingness to receive & respond to direction.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- CPA and/or masters in accounting desired. Each of these qualifications could also substitute for two years of work experience listed in minimum qualifications above.
- Knowledge and understanding of integrated project management and financial computer systems highly desirable.
- Supervisory experience.
- May require occasional in-state travel to the President's Shrewsbury Office, the campuses in Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth, Lowell and Worcester.
- May require periodic extended hours, nights and weekends, as necessary.
- Typical office environment.
- This is a full-time benefited position;
- No relocation assistance provided;
- The salary range for this position is $75,000 - $85,000;
- Any job offer within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background and credit review.
About the University of Massachusetts Building Authority:
The mission of the University of Massachusetts Building Authority (UMBA) is to serve the University of Massachusetts and each of its five campuses through the planning, financing, design, construction, acquisition, capital maintenance, and replacement of University buildings, infrastructure, and real estate.
The Building Authority will serve the University and its campuses by performing with the highest levels of integrity and professional quality; by promoting accountability and efficiency throughout the capital program; and by tailoring its services to the needs and capabilities of each campus.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend