Primary Work Location:
UMass Center at Springfield, Tower Square, 1500 Main St., Springfield MA 01115
Normal Work Schedule:
Standard full-time work schedule consisting of five, eight-hour days and 40 hours each work week. Work performed may require a change in availability at specific times to accommodate for variations in work demands.
The UMass Center at Springfield (UMCS) provides a physcial space for partnerships between the University of Massachusetts and other area institutes of public higher education. It provides a central location accessible to each school's students. Through a combination of traditional in-classroom learning, advanced telecommunications, and other technology investments, the UMCS provides college-course-specific opportunities not previously available in the area as well as research and community engagement opportunities for the University.
The Administrative and Fiscal Support Specialist performs a broad range of administrative and fiscal duties for the UMCS including: operations and logistics, finance and accounting, human resources/personnel document processing, contract management, reporting, and general office administration support functions.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Finance and Accounting
Provide direct support to the UMCS through the handling of accounts payable and receivable and perform the functions of analysis, reporting, and processing for:
- Travel and expense reimbursements
- Procard reallocation, reconciliation and log submission
- Correction journals and cost transfer justifications
- Budget preparation
- Invoicing and collections for event billing
Assist in the processing of personnel and labor actions, including:
- Internal and external communications regarding job postings, new hires, terminations, graduate students
- Document review
- Document management and file maintenance
- Support on new training and initiatives
- Time and effort reporting
Support the management of contract instruments, for both procurement and provision of services, to include:
- Initial contract and budget review
- Document management and contract log maintenance
- Communications with sponsors, vendors, and UMass Donahue Staff
- Requests for establishment of awards, sponsors, and vendors in PeopleSoft
- File creation and management
- Maintain schedule of classrooms for academic uses as a priority of the Center
- Maintain schedule of classroom, break-out and conference room reservations for special events
- Communicate scheduling needs for rooms setups to appropriate internal and external stakeholders
General Office Tasks
Provide direct support to the UMCS and its employees through the following functions:
- Administrative support for overall operations, logistics and human resources
- Academic schedule communications and planning
- Opening/closing operations
- Manage telephone and in-person reception duties including responding to requests for information from students and the general public
- Perform timely mail delivery
- Management of adequate office supply inventory and special orders
- Communication with office equipment vendors for service, supplies, contracts, etc.
- Meeting set-up/break-down
- Administrative/fiscal responsibilities of other UMass satellite campuses including the UMass Center on Beacon Hill as necessary
Provide support for additional project or event tasks. Examples include:
- Administration and finance process improvement initiatives
- Assistance with proposal preparation
- Participation in the UMass Donahue Institute administration and fiscal team meetings
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Business Administration, Accounting, or related field.
- 1+ years working directly with organizational financial information including budgets and/or accounts payable or receivable.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office products (especially MS Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel) and Google Apps.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and learn new financial concepts and analyze information.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, analytical and communication skills.
- Demonstrated time management and prioritization skills to ensure the meeting of deadlines.
- Utmost appreciation of, and ability to utilize discretion in handling confidential information and material.
- Experience in meeting the demands of complex professional environments where timeliness and availability of information is considered critical. Must be able to work effectively to resolve problems under stressful conditions where the rapid restoration of normal operations is critical.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Experience and/or knowledge of fiscal management including project monitoring; automated accounting systems; PeopleSoft; grants and contracts; policies, procedures and regulation of federal and state funding.
- A minimum of one year of supervisory experience.
- Must be flexible with the ability to change focus and attention between a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities rapidly.
- Prior experience with organizing and scheduling of public meetings/events.
- Multiple hours in a stationary position using office equipment and computers.
- Environment is a busy, collegial office area resulting in multiple interruptions and requests for assistance.
- Must be able to work both independently and as a team member and with varying amounts of support, as project assignments may require.
- Some transporting of supplies and equipment up to 30 pounds.
- Strong attention to detail, high levels of accuracy and organization, and a commitment to meeting deadlines.
- The physical/mental demands and work environment factors described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- This position may be funded by grants and/or contracts, and is contingent upon funding.
- The salary range for this position is $38,000-$45,000.
- This is a full time benefited position.
- No relocation assistance provided.
- Any job offer within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
- Potential candidates will not be contacted for interviews until after the posting closes.
- A skills test may be required.