Digital/Social Media Specialist
Job no: 496395
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Department: PO- Foundation
Categories: Public Relations, Marketing, Communications
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Primary Work Location:
One Beacon Street, Boston, MA
Normal Work Schedule:
Standard: Monday –Friday 8:30a-5:00p (or alternative schedule approved by supervisor). Additional work outside regular hours may be required.
The Digital & Social Media Specialist is responsible for creating and maintaining content for the University of Massachusetts system website(s) and social media channels and supporting alumni and advancement efforts in email marketing, online events management, and digital engagement. Reporting to the director of digital media & strategy, this position will support ongoing communications and marketing efforts within the University of Massachusetts Office of the President and the UMass Foundation. The position will be based in downtown Boston but the position will require the employee occasionally travel to one of our campuses or other in-state facilities.
The ideal candidate will be a solid writer with at least two years’ experience supporting digital communications and marketing efforts at an institution of higher education, marketing firm, government agency, or news outlet. The ideal candidate should be a true digital native - someone who crafts engaging tweets, interactive Facebook posts and features, visually compelling Instagram photos and highly compelling content. The candidate should have experience with email marketing, creating and managing online event registrations (like EventBrite) and/or digital content management systems, such as Drupal and iModules Encompass. Some experience with Adobe Photoshop and/or Premiere is preferred.
This is an exciting position for a candidate who appreciates variety, digital storytelling and attention to detail. Candidates should have impeccable writing skills with a focus on ultimately serving the best content across channels to promote the university's World Class educators, students, and researchers.
- Update/schedule/maintain content on University of Massachusetts social media channels - Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram - promoting university news, information and branding/marketing efforts.
- Working with internal stakeholders in support of current and emerging strategic initiatives, produce and post content on the University of Massachusetts system website, Massachusetts.edu; the UMass Foundation's website, and various microsites.
- Maintain a departmental editorial content/social media calendar.
- Provide monthly reporting and insights on Web and social media traffic and engagement.
- Improve quality control efforts by eliminating spelling errors, bad links, and ensuring compliance with brand guidelines across the university’s digital and social media properties using tools such as SiteImprove.
- Aid in various short-term and long-term digital projects and initiatives within the Communications/Marketing team and the University of Massachusetts Foundation.
- Support campus alumni and advancement offices use of the iModules Encompass platform.
- Assist in outbound email marketing communications - including newsletters, event invitations, scheduled messages, and more in outreach to our alumni, constituents and target audiences.
- Manage event registration pages for events sponsored by the University of Massachusetts Foundation.
- Collaborate and help guide design, development, testing, and rollout of new Web and email templates.
- Assist in developing training materials and seminars.
Other duties as assigned, as they relate to the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- A bachelor's degree in marketing, communications or journalism.
- A minimum of two years’ work experience creating digital content and social media posts on behalf of an advertising/marketing firm, government agency, higher education or non-profit institution, or news outlet.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Candidate should be a true collaborator who works well with team members, staff, other departments, senior leadership, clients and vendors.
- The ability to multi-task and handle several components of a project in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with a positive/proactive approach to work, duties and tasks.
- Conduct work in an office-based, collegial environment where they will be expected to maintain regular communication with supervising manager(s). Environment is a busy, open office area resulting in multiple interruptions and requests for assistance. The Communications Specialist must be able to work both independently and in a team setting, and with varying amounts of support, as assignments may require.
- Multiple hours in stationary position and using office equipment and computers. Some transporting of supplies and materials.
- Schedule flexibility and work performed in addition to regular work hours may sometimes be necessary.
- Must have flexibility to travel on an as-need basis within Massachusetts to attend events.
- Starting salary for this position shall not exceed $50,000.
- The selected candidate will be employed by the University of Massachusetts Foundation which is a not-for-profit corporation which is exempt from federal taxes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. This position is not eligible for state benefits. A competitive benefits package, including healthcare, dental and 401-K retirement, will be offered through the University of Massachusetts Foundation.
- This is a full-time, non-exempt position
- The position is located in Boston, MA.
The mission of the University of Massachusetts Foundation, Inc. is to “foster and promote the growth, progress and general welfare of the University of Massachusetts” as stated in the original 1950 Articles of Organization. The Foundation is a Massachusetts Chapter 180, not-for-profit corporation which is exempt from federal taxes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Serving the five campuses of the University, the Foundation is overseen by a Board of Directors.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend