Job no: 496393
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Department: PO- Foundation
Categories: Public Relations, Marketing, Communications
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Primary Work Location:
One Beacon Street, Boston, MA
Normal Work Schedule:
Standard: Monday –Friday 8:30a-5:00p (or alternative schedule approved by supervisor). Additional work outside regular hours may be required.
The Marketing Specialist will play a key role in supporting the daily operations of the UMass President’s Office communications department and its mission to tell the university’s story of education, research and impact.
In addition to providing day-to-day support to the Director of Marketing, the Marketing Specialist will be responsible for creating and curating marketing materials, both print and digital, assisting with oversight of the university’s brand, writing and copyediting, managing complex projects and maintaining important central resources.
The right candidate will be hardworking, organized, resourceful, and will have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, a high level of technological literacy, a very high level of attention to detail, and a good sense of humor.
The Marketing Specialist will be a strong supporting player to the Communications Department, providing general assistance and project support to all team members.
- Provide general support to the Marketing Director and the communications team
- Assist with the development and management of university marketing materials, including, but not limited to: emails, brochures, print ads, and campaign assets.
- Write and edit university marketing copy for a variety of formats, including, but not limited to: print, emails, web, display and social media.
- Copyedit, reformat, and in some cases, redesign reports, briefings and other communications materials to ensure compliance with university brand, messaging and design guidelines
- Create and maintain reporting dashboards to monitor key performance indicators and measure campaign performance
- Complete research assignments, drawing on internal and external source materials, and provide analysis as appropriate
- Assist the Marketing Director in overseeing external vendors, including the university’s marketing agency and freelancers
- Update and otherwise maintain the university’s fact file document and its update index
Other duties as assigned, as they relate to the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent written, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work and manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously
- Must be able to work both independently, in a team setting, and/or with varying amounts of support, as project assignments may require.
- Ability to work in an office setting, including working in a cubicle or shared office space.
- Comfort interacting with a wide range of internal and external audiences
- General proficiency and comfort with MS office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- One to three years of experience in writing-intensive marketing role
- Experience with Google Analytics, SEO/SEM, email marketing tools, and marketing automation
- Experience with social media management and/or marketing
- Experience with a website content management system, such as Drupal or WordPress
- Experience shooting and editing photography and/or video would strengthen an application, but are not required
- A working knowledge of HTML, CSS, or other web languages
- Experience with graphic or web design would greatly strengthen an application, but is not required
- Conduct work in an office-based, collegial environment where they will be expected to maintain regular communication with supervising manager(s). Environment is a busy, open office area resulting in multiple interruptions and requests for assistance. The Communications Specialist must be able to work both independently and in a team setting, and with varying amounts of support, as assignments may require.
- Multiple hours in stationary position and using office equipment and computers. Some transporting of supplies and materials.
- Schedule flexibility and work performed in addition to regular work hours may sometimes be necessary.
- Must have flexibility to travel on an as-need basis within Massachusetts to attend events.
- Starting salary for this position shall not exceed $50,000.
- The selected candidate will be employed by the University of Massachusetts Foundation which is a not-for-profit corporation which is exempt from federal taxes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. This position is not eligible for state benefits. A competitive benefits package, including healthcare, dental and 401-K retirement, will be offered through the University of Massachusetts Foundation.
- This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
- The position is located in Boston, MA.
The mission of the University of Massachusetts Foundation, Inc. is to “foster and promote the growth, progress and general welfare of the University of Massachusetts” as stated in the original 1950 Articles of Organization. The Foundation is a Massachusetts Chapter 180, not-for-profit corporation which is exempt from federal taxes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Serving the five campuses of the University, the Foundation is overseen by a Board of Directors.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend