Primary Work Location:
333 South Street, Shrewsbury, MA
Normal Work Schedule:
Standard: Monday –Friday 8:30a-5:00p (or alternative schedule approved by supervisor).
The University Information Technology Services (UITS) department of the University of Massachusetts is seeking an experienced, energetic, engaging and visionary leader who wants to become part of an exciting, vibrant community of information technology professionals supporting the institution's mission.
“To enable UMASS to provide an affordable and accessible education of high quality and to conduct programs of research and public service that advance knowledge and improve the lives of the people of the Commonwealth, the nation and the world.”
Information technology plays a vital and ever-expanding role in the institutional mission. The Institution's information technology environment is highly distributed and diverse, with strong leadership and coordination from the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and direct report units. We are seeking a strong, knowledgeable leader to provide vision, strategy, broad-based planning, and hands-on responsibility as the Director of Cloud Transformation within the University Of Massachusetts Systems Office.
The Director of Cloud Transformation reports to the Chief Architect, is a member of the Senior Management leadership team and serves a key role in university leadership, working closely with technologists within UITS and across the University System, senior stakeholders and academic leaders. In this role the incumbent provides visionary leadership and drives alignment towards designing and developing technical cloud infrastructures that enable information services to deliver value and a positive customer experience, and be cost effective, reliable and scalable. The Director of Cloud Transformation will provide strategic architecture direction that enables the application and business agility that is needed to support the business capabilities and information systems of the future.
The incumbent will implement and operate technology services in the cloud and is accountable for the running of technical infrastructure, ensuring the training of staff members, and for setting and ensuring performance and security standards compliance. Works closely with other technology staff and vendors to identify and execute cost-effective technology solutions. Manages the work activities of employees and contractors ensuring committed tasks are delivered on time and within budget and that they deliver the expected technology and business benefits.
Provide the Strategic Leadership to help UITS transition to Next Generation Architecture
- Take a big picture view to designing how technology, applications and data models must be re-architected for the future.
- Develop and implement strategy to re-architect existing technology infrastructure services into the cloud in order to reduce operational workload, increase resilience and agility and limit IT expenditure increases.
- Works closely with the Chief Architect and SMT team to develop roadmaps that transition UMASS to a future architecture model
- Provides support and consultation for detailed design, deployment, testing and production support.
- Collaborate across UITS to develop clear Cloud Enterprise Architecture standards/principles
Provide consulting and leadership to the UMASS Community
- Help expand understanding of cloud-based computing, mobile, social and big data trends
- Promote collaborative, empowered working environments with campuses, removing barriers and realizing possibilities
- Provide subject matter expertise to IT leaders, technologists, academic and administrative leaders across the University system on a wide variety of Cloud Technologies.
- Establish clear connections between business goals and strategies and the architecture development needs required to achieve them.
- Help Ensure that proposed architectures are aligned with organizational goals and objectives.
- Develop, document, and communicate plans for investing in cloud architectures, including analysis of performance and service delivery improvement, or cost reduction opportunities.
Provide organizational leadership to staff involved in delivery of technology services
- Directly supervise the Wintel team (4 staff). Over time additional functions, teams or roles may report into this role or transition to other teams.
- Defines and implements an optimal organizational structure that best positions UITS to deliver technology services.
- Develops management and leadership capabilities within the UITS organization. Develop staff by providing ongoing coaching and feedback, appropriate recognition, assisting the team members with career planning and represent the needs of UMASS leadership to team members.
- Creates a culture of customer service and promotes UITS’s values across all levels of the organization.
- Establish priorities, timelines, and ensure appropriate resources are available.
- Manage/Guide the work and performance of staff and consultants/contractors.
- Plan the team direction and priorities and lead the organization in executing the plan.
- Be a role model, leading by example
Other duties include special projects as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Minimum 5 years of technology leadership and architecture management experience.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency in word processing, presentation software (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) required.
- Demonstrate subject matter expertise in a wide variety of technology disciplines.
- Bachelor's degree in a technical, scientific or engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years recent hands-on work experience in a multiple vendor, multiple customer and multi-protocol environment, preferably working with AWS, Azure and WinTel Systems
- Proven experience with Cloud / Digital Transformation.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Experience with vendor selection and vendor management.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to present ideas and complex concepts in user-friendly language.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- The ability to work well in an academic setting and be comfortable with the tempo of the academic calendar.
- Primary work location is Shrewsbury, MA however; travel to all campuses may be required.
- Typical office environment.
- This role may occasionally require working at times during evenings and weekends to support the needs of the department and System Chief Information Officer.
- This is a full time benefited position
- The salary range for this position is $130,000 - $150,000
- No relocation assistance provided
- Any job offer within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.