Controller, University of Massachusetts Building Authority
Job no: 496202
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Department: UMass Building Authority
Categories: Executive Positions
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Primary Work Location:
One Beacon Street, Boston, MA
Normal Work Schedule:
Standard: Monday –Friday 8:30a-5:00p (or alternative schedule approved by supervisor).
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer of the University of Massachusetts Building Authority (UMBA) the UMBA Controller will be responsible for the managing the day to day financial accounting functions, the annual financial audit process and assist with campus assessment and reporting activities. The Controller will develop and maintain dynamic working relationship with five campus Controllers as well as the University Controller.
- Ensure preparation and accuracy of accounting activities including journal entries and related schedules for general ledger accounts. Review and approve entries made by Senior Accountant. Assist in all financial reports and associated journal entries and back-up.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reconciliation schedules for all general ledger funds and accounts; monitor all cash and fund activities to ensure proper accounting is maintained. Assist in researching, tracking and resolving any discrepancies and/or documentation issues.
- Prepare year-end package, including work papers and footnotes, for independent financial audit with particular responsibility for schedules of fixed assets, construction-in-progress, and bond entries. Provide these year-end files to the President’s Office for consolidation in a timely manner.
- Implement interim quarterly closes and coordinate with President’s Office and campuses. Prepare quarterly package by campus to include fixed assets, depreciation, interest expense, amortization of bonds premium, and other financial statement areas.
- Provide periodic and ad hoc reporting to the Authority senior management, President’s Office and campuses on fixed assets, depreciation, and other budget, accounting, and long-term capital plan projections.
- Provide advice to senior management on options for accounting treatment of Authority activities.
- Work with Authority staff to ensure business procedures for the department are sufficiently documented and periodically reviewed for accuracy.
- Create new general ledger funds, accounts and locations and related bank accounts as appropriate.
- Prepare, or review and submit quarterly grant reports to Mass Life Sciences and other grant agencies.
- Review quarterly CTHRU payment file.
- Review the campus assessments as part of the semi-annual billings and As Of Letter.
- Record Build America Bond subsidies, and collection of the campus assessments and proper disbursement to debt service, reserve and other funds.
- Acts as a lead to train, coach, and review the work of other staff, as needed.
- Assist with campus related requests for information and other ad hoc projects.
- Document and formalize close processes and accounting policies and procedures.
- Assist with implementation of any accounting or reporting systems.
- Supervision of the Senior Accountant
- Other duties as assigned as related to the essential functions
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Four year college degree in accounting or related field.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and the ability to interpret and apply advanced and complex accounting rules, including interpreting current and new Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements.
- Understanding of general and fund accounting attained through five to ten years (5-10) experience in a governmental, public accounting, or construction project environment.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel, is required. Ability to analyze and determine applicability of data, to draw conclusions, and to make appropriate recommendations is also required.
- Proficient communications, interpersonal and organization skills are vital. Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- CPA preferred and master’s degree in accounting desired.
- Experience working with Sage Intacct and/or PeopleSoft desired along with experience with consolidation and elimination entries.
- Knowledge and understanding of integrated project management systems highly desirable.
- Experience managing staff.
- Standard office environment.
- Must be able to independently travel throughout the Commonwealth.
- May be required to work extend hours during peak business cycles.
- This is a full time benefited position.
- The salary range for this position is $85,000 - $125,000.
- No relocation assistance provided.
- Any job offer within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review, and a credit review.
The UMass Building Authority (UMBA) is a distinct, public organization established by the Massachusetts Legislature in 1960. Its mission is to build facilities on the University of Massachusetts campuses that could be financed from student fees and charges. Facilities include student dormitories, dining facilities and parking garages. For a listing of the Authority’s projects, please click here.
In recent years the Authority has expanded its role and now builds academic buildings, laboratories, athletic facilities, heating plants, and other facilities, as well as providing funding for the repair and renovation of existing campus facilities.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend