Manager, Digital Experience
Job no: 494485
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Categories: Information Technology
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Primary Work Location:
333 South Street, Shrewsbury, MA
Normal Work Schedule:
Standard: Monday –Friday 8:30a-5:00p (or alternative schedule approved by supervisor).
The University Information Technology Services (UITS) department of the University of Massachusetts is seeking a creative and hands-on technical leader who will use a human-centered design approach to develop and manage highly functional digital experiences for UMass stakeholders via the President’s Office websites and web applications including Massachusetts.edu, umassp.edu, student-facing web sites and applications, and a CRM platform. This position requires an engaging consultative mindset that is practical and resourceful, taking inspiration from external examples and industry best practices to transform how we conceive of and create digital experiences at UMass.
The incumbent will promote the use of design thinking to ensure the digital experience of UMass websites and web application services supports the UMass mission; enhance our brand and reputation; and promote employee collaboration and productivity. S/he will have hands-on technical responsibility for user experience design, web development, information architecture, content strategy, and integration of web services and data. The position requires on-call rotation to ensure public-facing websites are highly available. Typical projects may include: large-scale site redesign; migrating microsites from WordPress to Drupal 8; developing employee service platforms with Salesforce and Drupal; configuring student web application portals; re-engineering administrative and business processes and making them digital; assessing security, performance, and accessibility risks across all digital assets.
The Manager reports to the Associate Chief Information Officer (ACIO) for Planning and Delivery and leads a small web services team responsible for developing and managing websites and integrating web applications, data, and services to support the mission of the University. The position will collaborate with colleagues in UITS, Communications, Office of the President Executive Staff, and various partners in UMass campus technology and student-facing functions.
User Experience Design and Web Development
- Lead wire-framing and prototyping activities for end-to-end digital experiences (e.g. browse, search, transactional, conversational, etc.) across UMSO sites and services.
- Conduct discovery and analysis using external sources of inspiration, competitive benchmarking, internal stakeholder engagement, and heuristic evaluations.
- Develop re-usable personae and user journey and empathy maps.
- Manage front and back-end web development, including user experience design, information architecture, content strategy and permissions, system and data integration, and authentication.
- Collaborate with other technology groups (application and product managers, infrastructure and operations, security and identity management, architecture, project management office, data and analytics, etc.) on various projects and services.
- Collaborate with Communications on ensuring visual branding and content standards are adopted throughout all digital assets.
- Integrate solutions such as secure web forms, digital signature, and Salesforce CRM with websites to enable new digital service capabilities.
- Manage usability and accessibility testing activities.
Team and Service Management
- Directly supervise web services team (3 staff) and set team goals and priorities. Over time, additional functions, teams or roles may report into this role or transition to other teams. Occasional management of contract or consulting staff.
- Provide performance coaching, mentorship, and professional development to staff.
- Assess and continuously improve the quality, performance, and value of digital projects and services using data-driven and customer experience management approaches.
- Maintain accurate system and support documentation.
- Manage service disruptions to restore service operations as quickly as possible.
- Periodic testing for business continuity, information security, and other related activities.
- Manage vendors who provide hosting, monitoring, and other professional services
- Act as user experience (UX) subject matter expert and trusted advisor for any projects involving digital engagement.
- Promote a culture of human-centered design thinking in approaching challenges and opportunities related to improving digital experiences with websites and services and in re-engineering business processes.
- Other duties that are reasonably related to the essential functions of the position.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Associate’s degree and a minimum 4 years of experience with user experience (UX) design and/or web development.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Drupal, WordPress, HTML5/XHTML, CSS, and PHP.
- 3+ years of experience with user experience UX, digital experience DX, and design thinking methods such as user stories; process, journey and empathy mapping; jobs-to-be-done (JBTD) framework; competitive analysis; multivariate testing, usability testing; focus groups; market research; iterative design; stakeholder interviews; wireframing and prototyping
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor's degree in a design, digital or technical discipline
- Strong proficiency with information architecture and content strategy
- Experience interpreting, developing, and implementing UX design standards
- Excellent writing skills for multiple audiences with a special emphasis on writing effectively for the web
- Strong visual and graphic design skills for effective, accessible, mobile, and responsive user interfaces
- 2+ years of hands on back-end web development experience using Drupal and PHP
- Demonstrated proficiency with web analytics and quality assurance tools such as Google Analytics and SiteImprove
- Demonstrated proficiency with RESTful APIs and formats (JSON, XML)
- Experience developing and testing digital services in alignment with the World Wide Web’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
- Experience designing for and testing across multiple OS, browser, and mobile device platforms.
- Experience integrating Salesforce with websites and web applications
- Experience with cloud hosting such as Acquia Cloud, AWS, or Heroku
- Experience integrating social media platforms with websites
- Excellent cross-functional collaboration, facilitation, and consultative skills
- 2+ years of project management experience, level of effort estimation, and workplan development
- Ability to present complex ideas in a user-friendly fashion to audiences both technical and functional.
- A high degree of professionalism, diplomacy and sensitivity to the needs of customers.
- Typical Office Environment.
- May require travel to University campuses
- On call hours required. Nights and weekends, 9pm - 5am, on a rotational schedule
- This is a full time benefited position
- No relocation assistance provided
- Any job offer within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend