CFO, University of Massachusetts Building Authority
Job no: 494135
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Department: UMass Building Authority
Categories: Other Staff Positions, Executive Positions, Accounting and Finance
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
|Primary Work Location (City/State/Home):
||One Beacon Street, Boston
|Normal Work Schedule:
||Standard: Monday –Friday 8:30a-5:00p (or alternative schedule approved by supervisor).
||The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for the UMass Building Authority (Authority) reports to the Executive Director and is primarily responsible for the financial well-being of the organization. The CFO will supervise a small team of finance professionals providing them with direction and leadership relating to the Authority’s financial operations. The CFO is responsible for activities which include the Authority’s budget and planning process, working with campuses and the University President’s Office in the development and execution of the University’s Capital Plan, the associated issuance and servicing of the Authority’s debt, providing regular financial reporting and related communication with the Authority’s Senior leadership and its Board. The CFO will be responsible for managing projects and initiatives, preparing reports and presentations, and participating in discussions with campuses and other stakeholders. The CFO supports the Executive Director in communicating with various stakeholders, campus administrators, and generally representing and promoting the Authority’s and the University’s interests. The CFO will work closely and collaboratively with the Authority’s Treasurer, Controller, General Counsel, Director of Capital Projects and other key members of the organization. The CFO will periodically collaborate in strategic planning, policy analysis, and special projects as required.
- Serve on senior leadership team advising the Executive Director on strategic and financial matters.
- Work closely and collaboratively with campuses and the University President’s Office in the development and execution of the University’s Capital Plan.
- Direct and coordinate the development of multi-year revenue and financing plans for the operations of the Authority.
- Monitor and help direct the implementation of strategic business plans.
- Oversee the development of Authority’s operating budget, the annual debt service certificates and develop rates and charges adequate to cover all obligations. Oversee the preparation of semi-annual campus assessments including the collection and proper disbursement of campus assessments.
- Manage issuance and servicing of revenue bonds including confirmation of project financial feasibility; preparation of project approval documents and official statement materials; and analysis of debt structure, market conditions and interest rate environment.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable State and Federal laws regarding tax-exempt and governmental bond issues, and with all legal agreements related to each bond issue.
- Work closely with the Treasurer and Controller to establish and maintain fiscal controls, accounting systems, and payroll systems.
- Direct processing and recording of all revenue and disbursements, and monitor for appropriateness, conformity to sound financial practices, and compliance with budgets, trust agreements and regulations.
- Recommend policies and procedures relating to the financial and business practices of the organization.
- Work with the Treasurer and Controller on the annual independent financial audit. Coordinate and manage responses to other external audits and to public information requests as appropriate.
- Direct and coordinate all financial reporting including State and Federal financial, bond issuance and payroll reports and documents required to comply with revenue bond continuing disclosure agreements.
- Recommend investment strategies and execute investment program for all funds.
- Manage the information technology systems that support fiscal operations; participate in agency-wide technology planning as it relates to fiscal operations.
- Administer property, liability and builders risk insurance program.
- Provide administrative and technical supervision to staff personnel. Direct in-service training and development.
- Maintain in-depth relations with all members of the management team.
- Perform related duties as required.
|Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor degree required or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of all aspects of financial management (8 years), of which at least two (2) years should be in a supervisory capacity.
- Thorough knowledge of financial transactions and financial systems, as well as related policy, accounting and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of financing Public-Private Partnership projects or willingness and capacity to learn the process and requirements.
- Knowledge and understanding of governmental GAAP accounting principles and all relevant Federal, State and industry requirements regarding financial records.
- The ability to communicate information and so others will understand.
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office; advanced Excel skills
- Strong knowledge of audit and internal control standards.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent skill set with regard to financial analysis coupled with the ability to understand the relationship of detailed data to big picture.
- Strategic planning ability.
|Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Business/accounting major preferred
- Advanced degree or CPA desirable
- Experience with governmental or tax-exempt bond issues highly desirable.
- Requires occasional in-state travel to the President's Boston/Shrewsbury Offices, the campuses in Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth, Lowell and Worcester.
- May require periodic extended hours, nights and weekends, as necessary.
- Typical office environment.
- This is a full time benefited position
- No relocation assistance provided
- Any job offer within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review and credit review
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend
Powered by PageUp
The University of Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.